Sunday, October 28, 2007

Why Does SuSE 10.2 Look as Lame as Windows Vista?




Because It's Not Ubuntu.

Being use to using MC (midnight commander) from the console for most of my filing chores, I typed mc in the console and SuSE "burped": What the heck is That?

After a couple of minutes of looking for the Softaware Updater in the morass of window-like boxes for program selection, I FOUND IT!.

Of course I tried YUM and Apt-Get and Synaptic first, but got the same lame response as I got looking for the very-basic utility MC.

openSuSE 10.2 "burped:" again, "Don't know about those tools, Dude..Remember, I'm pretty much lame out of the Box."

How do you stand it Miguel?

Anyway to make a short story LONG, I found the Software Installer and typed in MC in the search for software box. It found it in the time most other Distros would have installed it.

I clicked OK to install. It needed root authorization, so I had to ask to give it to me. It churned for a few more minutes and then "burped": It needed the installation DVD in the drive, before it could proceed.

Why?

I put in the DVD with openSuSE 10.2 on it, in the drive and the installer smiled a smug smile of dubious control.

Anyway, after more than 10 minutes, the "Installer" said the softeware (MC) was installed. What a pain in the TOOKus!

I wrote this Blog entry in the time openSuSE 10.2 took to install One Application: MC that should have been available at the start.

No wonder Ubuntu is winning the Distro Game.

Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be MORE openSuSE 10.2 pratfalls.

No comments: